1. Buying the Wrong Gutter Type
Remember: No two homes are the same, which is why not all gutter systems can be installed on your roof. There are different types of gutters, each with their own pros and cons:
- Half-round gutters – Gutters in this traditional shape can’t directly be installed onto the fascia board or the board running along your roof’s edges —you’ll need hangers to mount this type of gutters.
- K-style gutters – Unlike half-round gutters, k-style gutters, which are flat on one side, can be mounted directly onto the fascia board.
- Fascia gutters – These gutters can double as a fascia board.
First-time DIYers often make the mistake of choosing the wrong gutter type. If you don’t have a lot of experience with home improvement projects, it’s best to consult a qualified roofer and let them handle the gutter installation.
2. Spacing Gutter Hangs Too Far Apart
Speaking of gutter hangers, a lot of DIYers also make the mistake of spacing them too far apart. As a general rule, gutter hangers shouldn’t be spaced more than three feet away from each other. Gutter hangers that are spread too apart won’t be able to provide enough support for your gutters, causing sections to sag and water to spill onto your facade.
3. Choosing the Wrong Gutter Size
Here’s another rule DIYers should remember: The steeper the roof pitch, the faster rainwater flows down the roof, the bigger your gutters need to be. Aside from the roof pitch, to calculate the right gutter size, you’ll need to factor in other factors such as the average rainfall in your area, something a local gutter repair company would be familiar with.
The Cost of DIY Mistakes
As a rule of thumb, unless you have prior professional experience with home improvement projects, it’s best to let professionals handle a home improvement project. After all, one installation error is all it takes to ruin your new gutters and blow your budget.
Renaissance Roofing, an A+-rated contractor with the Better Business Bureau®, offers a wide range of professional roofing services, including gutter installation and roof maintenance services. To request a free estimate, call us at (541) 204-1690 or leave us a message here. We serve homeowners in Salem, Eugene, and Albany, OR, as well as the surrounding communities in Oregon.