Observing how your roof is installed and conducting your own quality inspection once it’s finished are good habits to have as a homeowner. If you’re unsure of what to look for during your roofing inspection, read on as Oregon roofing company Renaissance Roofing, Inc. discusses the qualities of a properly-installed asphalt shingle roof.
- The roof has underlayment. The underlayment is a layer of material that serves as a moisture barrier between the asphalt shingles and the roof deck. It is not visible on a finished roof, but you can observe from the ground as during installation to make sure that it is installed over the decking. Traditional or “organic” underlayment is basically asphalt-soaked paper, while modern underlayment is a synthetic breathable material that prevents trapping moisture on the decking.
- Consistent nailing patterns. If you have the opportunity to observe your roofers as they install individual shingle tabs, pay attention to how they apply roofing nails or fasteners. Each fastener needs to be applied at correct intervals along each row to ensure a strong hold.
- Adequate overlap on each course. Asphalt shingle tabs need to have adequate overlap on each course or row. This helps ensure visual consistency, as well as enough area for the reinforcing adhesive to stick to. Asphalt shingles have factory-applied markings for overlaps and fasteners, which means it should be easy to spot shingle tabs that are out of place.
- Proper flashing. Breaks on the roofing plane, such as valleys and the base of chimneys and exhaust pipes, are vulnerable to rainwater infiltration, and are protected by flashing. If these areas seem bare or unprotected, bring this to your roofer’s attention.
- You can feel airflow in the attic. Attic ventilation is important, as trapped heat and humidity can cause damage to the roofing structure, as well as cause mold growth. A standard sloped roof should have exhaust vents at the ridges and intake vents at the soffits — the highest and lowest points of the roof, respectively. Airflow should be noticeable as soon as you climb into the attic.
As a GAF Master Elite ® Certified Contractor, you can count on Renaissance Roofing, Inc. to provide the roofing that your home deserves. Find out more about our services, including roof leak repair, by calling us at (541) 791-4886. You can also fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment. We serve communities in Salem, Albany and Eugene, OR.